Eligibility & Opportunities

Students at Palo Verde Community College may receive aid in the form of grants, scholarships, and work-study. Awarding of funds to students is based upon individual need, the amount of units in which a student is enrolled and meeting the qualifications of the various aid programs.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility for most of the Federal and State Student Aid Programs is based on financial need (by filing a FAFSA). In addition, the Federal Student Aid Programs require that the student recipient:

  1. Show Ability to Benefit* from the instruction offered at Palo Verde Community College. Students must also have and follow a written Educational Plan, developed by their counselor.
  2. Enroll in an eligible program leading to an AA/AS degree, certificate or transfer status to a 4-year college or university.
  3. Enroll in courses as outlined on your Student Educational Plan.
  4. Be A United States citizen or eligible non-citizen (+see explanation).
  5. Have a valid Social Security Number. If you don't have a Social Security Number, you can find our more about applying for one through the Internet at www.ssa.gov.
  6. Must be making satisfactory progress toward their stated educational goal, (kept on file with the student's counselor or in the Admissions and Records Office).
  7. Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
  8. Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  9. Students that have a conviction of drug distribution or possession charges, may be ineligible for Federal funds. (If you have a drug conviction obtain more information at 1-800-433-3243).
  10. Register with Selective Service, if required. You can register at www.sss.gov.
  11. Have financial need.

Please note that all programs for financial aid are subject to changes in Federal and State regulations and a possible shortfall of funds. These types of changes are not within the control of Palo Verde Community College and will supersede all local policies.

Dependency Status

Certain questions you answer when you apply for financial aid will determine whether you are considered dependent on your parents and, therefore, you must report their income and assets as well as your own or whether you are independent and must report only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse, if you are married).

You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

  • You were born before January 1, 1988.
  • You are married.
  • You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program.
  • You have children that receive more than half their support from you.
  • You have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you and will continue to receive more than half of their support from you through June 30, 2012.
  • You were at any time since 13, in foster care, a dependant/ward of the court or both parents deceased.
  • It has been decided by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that you are in a legal guardianship.
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2010, you were determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless, as determined by (a) your High School or district homeless liaison or (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U>S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
  • At any time after July 1, 2010, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
  • You are a veteran of the United States Armed Forces.

*ABILITY TO BENEFIT: Federal regulations require that students must have a High School Diploma, the equivalent (GED), pass an examination approved by the Secretary of Education or have completed 6 degree applicable units (not revisitorsl) with a "C" or better, the units must be applicable toward a degree or certificate offered by the institution in order to be eligible to receive any Federal Student Financial Aid.