Satisfactory Progress

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Federal and State regulations require that students seeking financial aid must demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward a published degree objective and ensure progress toward the degree for all periods of enrollment whether or not the student has received financial aid. There is a minimum unit and a maximum unit requirement. Students are responsible to submit official transcripts for all previously attempted coursework to Enrollment Services.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Status

Once you have attempted any units, (regardless of receiving financial aid or not), you are required to: (1) Complete 67% of *attempted units each semester, (2) Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA; and complete your education program within a 150% of the minimum required units for the program to meet the standards required to maintain Satisfactory Status for financial aid eligibility.

Financial Aid Warning

A financial aid warning allows for a student to maintain financial aid eligibility for the next semester after failing to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. A student who does not meet SAP after a warning period is no longer eligible. Warning does not apply to maximum unit timeframe. Some students will be automatically terminated based on previous academic history.

Maximum Unit Timeframe

At PVC, 60 units is the maximum for most programs. Exceptions to this maximum may be considered by petitioning if one or more of the following occur:
A. Up to 30 units for remedial (non-degree applicable) coursework.
B. ESL courses necessary to prepare a student for college level coursework.

Additional Information

Attempted and Completed Units
A. Attempted units are any units for which a grade of A, B, C, D, F, P, NP, CR, NC, I, IP or W is received after the last day to drop a class without a "W" grade. (Refer to your class schedule for specific dates)
B. Completed units are earned units with a grade of A, B, C, D, P or CR.

Repeated, Audited, Transfer, Consortium or Remedial Coursework

A. Financial Aid may be awarded for the cost of courses previously taken if the course is being taken to improve a sub-standard grade of D, F, NP or NC and any one class that was previously passed. Repeated units will count toward the 150% maximum units allowed.
B. All transfer courses from accredited institutions will be considered toward academic progress.
C. Courses funded through a consortium agreement are included in determining academic progress and attempted units.
D. Up to 30 semester units of remedial courses will be accepted in determining eligibility.

Financial Aid Reinstatement

If your eligibility is terminated, you must meet the following requirements in order to re-qualify for the following semester:
l. Enroll in at least six units and
2 Complete 67% of your attempted units
3 Achieve a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
Reinstatement is not retroactive, and you will not receive aid for any semester that you are ineligible.

Petition Process

Petitions must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office with appropriate documentation or they will be returned to the student unprocessed. Appeals for reinstatement are granted only if extraordinary circumstances beyond your control and for which you could not plan are documented. Also, there must be evidence you will make satisfactory progress in the future. You will be advised by mail or email of your results. If the appeal is approved you will be placed on "Probation" status for a specific period of time.

Financial Aid Probation

A financial aid probation period allows a student, who does not meet SAP but has successfully petitioned, to continue to receive aid. An educational plan is required for a student on probation. The educational plan must be developed to ensure that a student will meet SAP.