How to Apply

How to Apply for your VA Educational Benefits

First determine which GI Bill benefit is best for you. Visit the VA website at Click on the "For Students" tab under Education and Training in the left hand column. Then click on "Get Started"

This page will help you make the necessary decisions to get the most from your benefits.

  1. The "Get Started" home page will help you determine what benefit is best for you and how to apply for it. Once you have determined your path, click on "Apply for Benefits"
  2. Complete your application by choosing Apply Online. This will take you to the VONAPP page. Be sure to select the right application and follow the directions exactly as stated. Print a copy of the application as you will need to provide PVC's VA Certifying Official with a copy of it, along with a copy of your DD214 (a copy of the "NOBE", DD form 2384-1 if you are a reservist).
  3. We recommend that you apply for eBenefits at eBenefits is a portal; a central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and manage their benefits and personal information.
    • eBenefits Offers:

    • A personalized workspace called My Dashboard that provides quick access to eBenefits tools. Using eBenefits tools, you can complete various tasks. You can apply for benefits, download your DD 214, and view your benefits status, in addition to other actions as needed. This workspace is available to you once you have created an eBenefits account.
    • A catalog of links to other sites that provide information about military and Veteran benefits.
  4. To see if you may qualify for Financial Aid, be sure to apply by filing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This can be done online at: (the Palo Verde School Code is #001259)

How to Apply for Admission Palo Verde College

  1. To apply for admission and enroll for classes at Palo Verde College, go to "Getting Started" web page and follow steps 1 through 5.
  2. After you have taken your Assessments (step 5), make an appointment with an academic counselor to develop an Educational Plan.
    • Select a degree or certificate program that you are going to pursue from the PVC Catalog (program must be approved through the VA in order to receive educational benefits). A copy of the Educational Plan must be submitted to the VA Certifying Official at PVC.
    • Select courses that work toward your declared program. VA Educational Benefits will only apply to coursework that is required for the declared program.
    • If you have previously attended other colleges, you must request official transcripts. Please bring official sealed copies with you when you meet with the counselor or have them sent in advance to the Registrar's Office at Palo Verde College. A "Request for Transcript Evaluation" form will also be required.
  3. You can now register and pay your enrollment fees (Steps 6 & 7 on "Getting Started" web page).
  4. Complete the "Veterans Statement of Responsibility" form (this form must be completed each semester in order to process benefits for that term).
  5. Submit copies of your application, your DD214, the "Statement of Responsibility" form, and transcripts from other institutions (if applicable) to the Financial Aid Office. A VA file will be created and reviewed by the VA Certifying Official. Once all needed information is obtained and enrollment is verified, Palo Verde will certify the enrollment with the VA. (In some instances there may be additional information required depending on individual circumstances.)

Processing Time:

Processing of the initial VA application takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks with the Veterans Administration. Subsequent certifications usually take between 4 to 6 weeks.

Students will receive all correspondence from the VA; including benefit checks (make sure you have your correct address indicated on the "Statement of Responsibility" form). Veterans receiving Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 are also responsible for certify their enrollment each month.

Enrollment Certifications for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 VA benefit and payments:

Students receiving the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty or Selected Reserve benefits MUST verify their enrollment at the end of every month in order to receive their payments. This needs to be done NO EARLIER than the last day of the month.

Certify your enrollment by either calling 1-877-823-2378 or by using the VA's automated verification of enrollment system "WAVE" at click on "RESOURCES" then click "Verify Attendance(W.A.V.E.)" from the drop down listing.

Our Responsibility to You

Provide all documents and information necessary for you to receive your VA educational benefits. Process all requests for benefits in a timely and proficient manner. Certify your enrollment to the VA for a maximum of one semester at a time. We recommend that you stop by the VA Office or print out an online application and complete it as soon as you register.

Your Responsibility to Us

Keep us informed! It is your responsibility to request certification for each term. You must request benefits by completing the "Veterans Statement of Responsibility" form for each term in which you want to receive benefits. Inform us of any changes in your enrollments during the semester and any changes in your contact information.